Licence to fly on Ashdown Forest Current licence details (2021/2022)
Firstly, a bit of background information; the Forest is not public land, such as park or open space would be, and the rules for such are not the same. The Ashdown Forest Conservators were set up by an act of parliament and given powers to run and protect the Forest. The only right the public have is to walk on the forest; all other activities are controlled and governed by Licences granted by the Committee that run the Conservators. The BMFA and its membership have licence to fly on the Forest under strict locations, dates and times.
Summary of Licence
Model Types: Free Fight and Radio Controlled Gliders, powered (electric) and unpowered.
Flying Locations: Old Lodge Valley area bounded by Old Lodge Boundary; and Duddleswell/Nutley Road, Old Lodge Drive, B2026 and Friends Clump.
Flying Dates and Times:
- Between 1 May and 31 August:
- Silent Free Flight models, including electric powered – up to 12.00 noon and from 6 pm to sunset on any day in the area detailed above..
- Power Assisted Free Flight models and Radio Controlled Gliders including electric powered Models – up to 10.30 am and from 6 pm to sunset on any day in the area detailed above.
- Between 1 January to 30 April and 1 September to 31 December:
- Free Flight models and Radio Controlled Gliders including electric powered assisted Models – from 8.30 am to sunset on any day in the area detailed above.
Each year we negotiate a number of competition dates that enable us to fly from 8:30am to sunset, that do not clash with other events on the Forest,
The use of Helicopters and Multi-Rotor, 3D models, Gas Turbines, etc. do not fall within the scope of our licence and therefore cannot be flown at all and will be enforced by the Forest Rangers.
When flying on the forest please display a notice to the fact flying is taking place.
I have created a sign that could be used, it is dowloadable from https://southeast.bmfa.uk/…/Ashdown-forest-caution…